Sunday 30 October 2011

Researching The Marketing Place

Here I have analysed two magazines to see how many differences and similarities there are between them in order to make my magazine better.

There are two pop magazines which would be in competition with my magazine, these would be; Top of the Pops and We Love Pop. I will first focus on the ‘Top of the Pops’ magazine. The price for this magazine is £2.99, this is quite expensive however reasonable compared to ‘Q’ magazine where it costs around £4.99. The magazine is published every month which is plenty of time to get the magazine in order. Usually all of the magazines which this company produces should be around the same size, this issue size happens to be 66 pages. This is quite a lot of pages however again other magazines such as ‘Q’ can be around 170 pages long. Usually in magazines a regular content is stated however in this magazine it has not been put on. I do know from buying this magazine often that the regular content is the cringe page, shameful celeb slip-ups and horoscopes. These are normally near the back of the magazine. The magazine is split into five sections which are; we love shopping, we love boys, celebs & gossip, all about you and wins & offers. However I do think that this magazine has feature articles which are in the celebs & gossip column. In this section you will find exclusive interviews and pictures of celebrities, every magazine should at least have feature articles to interest the reader. Some magazines however (like this one) do not as ‘Features’ which means you will have to look closer to see where they are located.


Next I will focus on ‘We Love Pop’ magazine. The price for this magazine is again £2.99; the price should be consistent throughout all the issues. This particular magazine is published every month. This is good for the people who work at the magazine because it gives them lots of time to get their stories sorted out. I think that when I come to making my magazine I will make it monthly. The number of pages in this issue number is 66 pages. This should be consistent throughout all issues of these magazines. On the contents page there is not many subtitles which tell the audience about which is monthly or featured, this may confuse them as they may be used to knowing exactly where to go to look for a specific item in the magazine. I don’t know which is monthly however I can see that inside this issue what is featured as it says “inside this month...”


I have said that ‘Top of the Pops’ magazine has the same colours for every issue which is anchorage however this is wrong. Every issue is a different colour; this is so the audience doesn’t get board looking at the same colours. It may also attract a wider audience doing this as the next issue might be their favourite colours. 

Looking at both of these pop magazines I can see what they have done to make the magazine sell more. I am going to use these magazines to help me create the best pop magazine possible.       

No comments:

Post a Comment